How to Get a Modafinil Prescription?
Given that Modafinil is mostly classified as a prescription-only smart drug, with an exception of several countries where you can get it over the counter, most people would like to know how to get a Modafinil prescription without having problems with the law and with a focus on the exact steps of that process.
But the first question is why this nootropic is only available through a doctor’s prescription, and are there ways to get it legally even if you don’t suffer from sleep disorders that are usually treated with Modafinil. Answer to this and many more questions regarding this subject you can find in the lines below.
This article and all other content created by Moda Wiki is for informational purposes only. It is created for your entertainment. This is not legal or medical advice. Always make sure to seek the advice of your primary physician or medical professional before consuming nootropics, like Modafinil, or other pharmaceutical drugs. Please read our disclaimer.
What is Modafinil?
Modafinil is the most popular nootropic in the world. It is a wakefulness-promoting agent that was designed for treating symptoms of sleep disorders like narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea and shift work sleep disorder. But besides for its on-label purposes, this smart drug is being used for decades now as a cognitive enhancer because of its ability to increase a person’s focus, alertness and concentration, but also to improve his memory retention.
But not only that Modafinil will make sure you stay on top of your task, fully motivated to do it in time and in the best possible way, but it will remove the daytime drowsiness and fatigue that may stand in your way of success. Another benefit of this nootropic lies in the fact it will improve your mood and information processing.
Safety and side effects
Modafinil is considered to be safe to use by healthy individuals. It’s not addictive, and it has a very low level of abuse, but its usage can lead to certain consequences that will come in the form of more serious side effects if it’s consumed with alcohol and other stimulants or taken in large dosage. Those extreme side effects are difficulty breathing, increased heart rate, hallucinations, chest pain, serious skin rash, etc. But it is extremely rare for any of those things to happen if you take Modafinil as recommended.
Other more common side effects are nausea, light anxiety, headache, dizziness, diarrhea, dehydration, and insomnia. But you should know that there are ways to prevent some of these things from happening. For instance, if you take enough water during the day, the chances you will experience dry eyes, and dry mouth are very low. Also, if you take the Modafinil pill in the early morning hours, it will stop working just in time for you to be able to go to bed and get some rest without facing insomnia.
Now, do you need a prescription for Modafinil? The answer in most countries in the world is yes because this nootropic is classified as a controlled substance that can only be prescribed by a doctor.
It is very important to do your research and find out how to get Modafinil pills legally in the place you live and whether or not you will need that piece of paper that allows you to purchase it. But here is the list of some countries and the status Modafinil has there:
- USA – Modafinil belongs to Schedule IV controlled substances, so you need to have a prescription to legally buy and own this drug
- Canada – Modafinil here has pretty much the same status, with and only difference of it being classified as a Schedule F pharmaceutical
- Mexico – It’s defined as a non-controlled substance, so you can buy Modafinil over the counter anywhere
- Russia – This nootropic belongs to Schedule II substance, which means it can be owned and bought only with a doctor’s prescription
- Australia – Just like in the USA, Modafinil here is classified as a Schedule IV controlled substance
- India – Modafinil is available in any drug store all across this country, given that it is not defined as a controlled substance
- China – Rules are extremely strict in China since Modafinil can be prescribed by a licensed physician only for a three-day use
- EU – In countries that belong to the European Union, Modafinil is considered to be a prescription-only drug
Getting a Modafinil prescription
The biggest concern for most people is how to get Modafinil prescription, and we have to say that it can be a bit tricky if you don’t suffer from several sleep disorders this drug is designed to treat. So in order to get a doctor’s approval and start using Modafinil legally, you will have to prove to him that there are medical reasons why you need this specific nootropic.
That means that you will have to be diagnosed with narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea or shift work sleep disorder – in those cases, you probably won’t be having problems getting that prescription, but if not, chances for that happening are extremely low. In the USA, for example, doctors have the right to prescribe FDA approved pharmaceutical for its off-label usage, but that’s very unlikely to happen due to the fact they could suffer some medical or legal consequences.
Now, if you don’t already know this, here is what each of these conditions includes:
- Narcolepsy is a disorder that makes people fall asleep very suddenly and during the daytime hours. It can also make it hard for them to wake up. Since it can be pretty dangerous and inconvenient for that to happen when a person is driving or is at work, doctors will prescribe you Modafinil after narcolepsy is diagnosed.
- OSA or obstructive sleep apnea is another medical issue that asks for treatment based on Modafinil. It is a condition where a person’s airflow becomes restricted during sleep, up to the point where the same individual completely stops breathing for some time. Since this can have serious consequences regarding a person’s general health, doctors will usually include this nootropic into the treatment.
- Shift work sleep disorder (SWSD) is a condition that results after a long-term sleep-wake cycle that’s not synchronized with our biological rhythm. It’s very common in people who work in shifts, and it manifests in extremely low energy, feeling fatigued during the daytime, unable to concentrate, etc.
How to get Modafinil prescribed?
Now, after everything we said, you probably do understand what is needed in order for your doctor to prescribe you Modafinil. You really do have to have a problem with one of those mentioned sleep disorders. But please stay responsible and do not fake your symptoms because chances are high you are going to be busted and exposed to some legal consequences.
Now, that being said, we will not present you with several tips that may help you get Modafinil prescription for its off-label usage or for shift work sleep disorder.
- Do the research
In case you do have a problem that could be solved with Modafinil, it is important to do the research, go through recent studies, and go to your doctor’s appointment well prepared and full of information. There are some conditions this nootropic has proven to treat successfully, even though they are not the disorders Modafinil was designed to treat.
We are talking about moderate levels of depression, ADHD, fatigue caused by multiple sclerosis, etc. If you know a lot about this drug, its side effects and recommended usage for that particular condition of yours, you will have better chances of winning your doctors trust and getting that prescription.
- Describe the symptoms
It is very important to be specific and thorough when explaining your symptoms to the physician. It is recommended to use your own words when doing so and to be very precise. You should explain how serious those symptoms were, how often they happened, and how they affected your everyday life. But do not try to make your doctor a fool, he will know if you are lying or exaggerating when presenting your case.
- Be polite
It may sound silly, but if you are polite to your doctor and well-behaved, the chances you will get your prescription will most definitely be higher. It is crucial for you to be professional, show up on time for your appointment, and to be tactical. We would not recommend you to say you are there to get a prescription for Modafinil, even if you do have narcolepsy, SWSD or OSA. It would be better to explain your struggles and point out you believe you have a specific problem.
Things that may prevent you from getting a prescription
What you should be aware of is that even if you get officially diagnosed with some of these conditions, there is still a possibility of you being denied the right to a Modafinil prescription. That’s the case in several situations:<
- If you have a heart condition
- If you are pregnant or currently breastfeeding
- If you have liver problems
- If you have a history of drug abuse
- If you use birth control
- If there are some other possible drug interactions
Modafinil without prescription
The bottom line is – Modafinil is a prescription-only drug in most countries in the world, and you can get a doctor’s note that approves you using it legally, pretty much only if you suffer from some condition that’s officially treated by this nootropic.
You shouldn’t get your hopes up and suppose you are about to convince your doctor to prescribe it to you for its off-label usage – the chances that will happen are extremely low. But you shouldn’t be too disappointed because there’s always another way, and you can buy Modafinil online very quickly and easily.